17. marraskuuta 2019

Fifth lifer for the year. 17.11.2019

Yesterday 16th of November I finally had time to twitch long staying Great-northern Diver from Kirkkonummi. All went well until my kids said that it is time to go home... That was before the bird was relocated. Fun... SO I dipped yesterday and today on 17th I had to put my a-game to see the bird.
I waited again that the bird was seen and together with Vilma we went to see the bird. It was 40 minute drive to Vittrask, a big lake where the bird was seen daily from Monday I think.
It was before non we arrived and Vilma wanted to stay in the car, so I gave her my other phone to watch cartoon while I went to search the place. Some familiar faces around and finally after half an hour I found bird very very far a way which could be the right bird. We followed it and it dived and then showed its head few times.
I was quite sure that we were looking the right bird, but distance was about 1.5 km and I wanted to see it better.
I checked maps and we drove to the other side of the lake. We arrived to the place and while we searched way to shore some guy found it from parking lot. I managed to see the bird quickly and then we decided to move closer. We found a nice place and bird was showing it´s best but still quite distant views. I looked the bird and tried to learn how to ID this species in the future if some day I found my own bird.
Diver was lying there calmly on the water and it was clearly a place where it didn´t fish, only rested.
In fifteen minutes it started to move again and dived few times. That was god time for us to leave. Vilma was super brave and she walked all the way in rocks and roots.
Here is few distant shots of the bird. All taken through my telescope with my phone. Lake produced some hear waves and light conditions you can see from the photos.

Distant and dark... Anyway Great-northern Diver. 1cy bird. 

Vilma was happy when the bird was found. I showed it to her too, so I add this one on her list. 

This was maybe the best I got. Sad but true.. 

I wish to be on the other side. From that sauna building even I could get better photos. 



So, lifer bird for me and finally got this one. Now the number is #337 in Finland.

Great-northern Diver is rare in Finland and best way to see these here is definitely like this bird, late autumn some local bird. Also some individuals every year migrates with other Divers along the coastline. These birds are usually seen in May.
Only 15 records from my home county (Uusimaa) during the 2000s. Thirteen of those were migrating birds.

-Tom

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti