25. toukokuuta 2022

Terek Sandpiper 22.5.2022

 Like I mentioned in my last post I was hoping to revisit the Terek Sandpiper at Laajalahti, Espoo and I really did it that same night. 

I got message of the bird later that night and I checked that I have two hours of daylight left. I drove to the site and kids fellow birders showed me the right direction where to point my telescope and there it was. Very very distant, but still in good light I was able to see the bill and yellow legs. Suddenly the bird took off and after couple of minutes I found it much closer feeding and calling. Finally some records shots were possible to take. Here is few. And video HERE 


Lone Slavonian Grebe from the site. Distance about 300m

Terek Sandpiper.

A bit closer.

Always a pleasure to see this species. 


Terek Sandpiper is very rare visitor here in capital area and funny thing is that I saw my second ever in Finland from this same tower and the date was exactly the same 22nd of May back in 2017! It seems that this species really have only short window when they pass the southern Finland. Only few pairs breeding here every year around Oulu area I guess. This was my third Terek Sand I saw in Finland. Still waiting my first from Helsinki side. 


More birding coming soon. Still some plans to visit Estonia, but very rainy forecast fro the weekend. Maybe a day trip here in Finland. My summer vacation started today (25th) 


-Tom

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti