15. helmikuuta 2020

Cycling around. 15.2.2020

Today I had time to go out and I took my bicycle and made about 7km tour around Vanhankaupunginlahti and close by places.
I started just after sunrise and my first stop was in Majavakallio where I took a look of the Vanhankaupunginlahti water area. Before that I had Great-grey Shrike at Viikki fields.  Most of the bay was frozen and only few birds around. Celebrity White-tailed Eagles around and one bird was sitting on a nest. There is now breeding attempt in Vanhankaupunginlahti and I hope all goes well. Place is in small island where normally we have tens of Grey Heron nests, so let´s see what happens.
Grey-headed Woodpecker took of from a tree when I arrived to the place and I had time to watch it in flight when it headed towards Lammassaari.

Island where White-tailed Eagles planned to nest.

Lone Eagle at the nest behind the Mute Swan flock.


I continued towards Fastholma where I knew a feeder and some nice records like White-backed Woodpecker, Nuthatch etc.
I met Aki Aintila and his better half? and they told that place was quite empty. I still wanted to take a look and when I arrived the first bird I saw in the feeder was male White-backed Woodpecker! Finally got even decent photos of this species. Also got single Willow Tit, many Great-and Blue Tits, Blackbirds, Great-spotted Woodpecker and some others.
I walked around and at some point I heard Black Woodpecker calling. I tried to locate the bird but call was going other way and I turned around quite soon. Black Woodpecker is always nice to have, so I was glad.
Quite soon I decided to leave and I went around the bay back to Viikki side. I checked Keinumäki feeder, but not much else than Tits and lone Siskin. After that I went through the fields and there I had pack of 12 Roe Deer and two Goshawks, one old and one first winter bird.
Quite soon after fields I went back home. I only checked a stream near by if any Dipper would show up, but no luck with that.
Here is few photos from the morning.

Coal Tit from Keinumäki.

Whooper Swans from Purolahti.

Roe Deer from Viikki fields.

Male White-backed Woodpecker. Ringed by Tatu Hokkanen. 

Nice birds, but really small numbers others than the most common ones. Four species of Woodpeckers is always nice and can´t really complain what I saw today.
More stuff hopefully soon.

-Tom

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti