4. lokakuuta 2020

Last two weeks and Long-billed Dowitcher 4.10.2020

 Last two weeks has been real struggle. I hurt my leg pretty badly in a football game and after that I had to visit in magnetic resonance imaging to see that the leg is still OK. Doctor even mentioned surgery, so I was quite worried... 

Anyway all good now but still area above my knee hurts like hell and can't run properly. This is also a reason why I have spent most of my free time at home. Few walks with kids and Sanni, but that's all. Autumn migration is going in big numbers. From our yard I have seen some Sparrow Hawk migration, some Thrush migration, some Redpolls, Goshawks and first flock of Waxwings. Those are the real sign of up coming winter time. 

Catocala Fraxini, the largest moth in Finland. Day before I hurt my leg.


As you can see, my leg looked pretty nasty.



On 27th I was at the playground with my kids and my attention was caught this smart looking juvenile White-tailed Eagle. Always worth of two pictures. Kids had fun.

Juvenile White-tailed Eagle.

And a bit closer.


On 29th I went to check a small ruderate in Kivikko. Only two kilometers from my door, but I visit there awfully infrequently. Place was full of birds and I counted at least eight Robins, five Dunnocks and some Meadow Pipits. Also two Common Chiffchaffs around in the bushes. 

Kivikko ruderate. Good place for autumn passerines.


This week, which is ending in few hours I was working normally, but Vilma got ill, so I had to take her to Covid-19 test and we had to wait the results at home. Test was negative, thank god and she is getting better and better all the time. Little bit bad luck in our family lately.. 

Today I was finally full of energy and ready to do some proper birding, but when I woke up I noticed a rain... I stayed home until I got message of Long-billed Dowitcher in Tuusula, only 25 minute drive from home! I have seen one before in Pori back in 2014 or something, but this one so close, I had to go. 

When I arrived the car park was already full, so I left my car at the side of the road. Lots of people were looking the bird and last time it was seen half an hour before landing in a field. We waited and waited and more people arrived. Finally there was about 100 people. Mika Ohtonen took some role and told everybody that they have to keep the distances between others to avoid the possible exposure. That was a good thing I think. 

Rantamo in Tuusula is very good place for birdwatching. 

Lots of people. This was taken just before we saw the bird.


After and hour it was decided that if we all want to see the bird, someone must walk to the field and scare the bird a bit so it will fly. Five people went there and soon they found the bird calmly feeding in the field. Pekka Komi and Matti Rekilä went to take some photos before others walked closer. The bird took off and next situation was very weird. It moved about five meters and landed even closer to the people in the field and started to run. I saw the bird flying and landing, but after that it was hiding again. 

Second try and this time it really took off. It made long flight and finally after minute or so it landed to the open water area where everybody saw it nicely. I even got some poor flying pictures of the bird. Also on Jack Snipe took off from the field and got picture of it too! 

Long-billed Dowitcher. This was just before I left the site.

Dowitcher in flight.

From this picture you can see the supercilium of the bird.

Details from the upper side of the bird.

Finally Jack Snipe and Matti Rekilä in same photo.

Matti and Jack Snipe.

At the site during the wait I had time to look a bit of big Goose flock quite far away and some Greater White-fronted Geese and Bean Geese in mixed flock with Barnacles. 

Later I came home and we did short visit to our Loviisa summerhouse to pick up some stuff before the winter. My father also joined us. Great ending for nice day. Some big flocks of Geese migrated also there, but not sure what kind. I think I heard Greater White-fronted Geese from some flock. 


-Tom

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti