20. syyskuuta 2020

Red-flanked Bluetail and Yellow-browed Warbler. 20.9.2020

 Today was suppose to be  just relaxing with my family and do something nice with the kids. I was drinking my morning coffee when I saw a message of Red-flanked Bluetail pretty near our house, maybe 15 minute drive away. At that point I had seen only one ever and that on was in Jyväskylä some years ago, so pressure was rising. Finally after 15 minutes of thinking I took Julius and together we went to try the bird. 

Took us about that fifteen to drive there and I noticed Mikko Salonen, Kimmo Heiskanen and somebody else already walking away from the spot. I called Kimmo and he kindly told me where to go.

First we went just without stroller to see the bird and then I was hoping that I can carry the stroller to the spot and see the bird with them too. I was lucky. Bird was hiding when we arrived, but I found it quite high up from a tree. I saw all the details and bird was calling many times! Great way to start your day! Then we went to pick up the stroller and when we came back we heard the bird still calling, so stroller tick in the pocket! 

Julius at the place.

Bird this rare in capital area attracts lots of people. About fifth record in Helsinki.

More and more people came and the bird disappeared after calling clearly further away. At this point I heard that there is Yellow-browed Warbler in Vuosaari, not too far away. We drove about 15 minutes and funny thing was that we arrived to the place which was exact same where the yesterdays Hoopoe was. This Warbler was found by the twitchers who came to see the Hoopoe! 
Situation was bad. Bird was gone and nobody knew where to look, people just walked around the area. I choose to walk small road where nobody was searching and I was a bit surprised when I found the bird near the kindergarten building. First it just moved in small trees, but finally when another birder arrived it started to call couple of times! We alarmed others and almost everybody at that point saw the bird. 
I even got this amazingly poor record shot. Light was straight from the behind of the bird, so was not easy to get any details showing in the picture.

Possibly the worst picture of Yellow-browed Warbler ever. 


I was happy and Julius wanted to continue, so we left and visited my friends new bike shop, which will open soon in Vesala area. Nice space for bike service and other things. Julius got blueberries from the store cause he was so patience and calm when I looked the birds! 

Later we roped Sanni to work and we had nice time in different parks around Helsinki. FInally we met my friend Jonne and his daughter and went to the playground near our house. During the stay I noticed some kind of Heron flying towards us and I was stunned when I realized that it really was Great-white Egret! What a ending for great day of rare birds. Great Egret is not rarity here, but not really the bird you expect to see in a place like this. 

Great-white Egret.


Can´t really complain about my day. Only thing little bothers me is that I didn´t get any photos of the Bluetail. Maybe arriving 10 minutes earlier and I could have set of poor record photos, who knows.. 

Till net time. 


-Tom 

1 kommentti:

  1. I want the world to know a great man that is well known as DR.WEALTHY,he has the perfect solution to relationship issues and marriage problems. The main reason why i went to DR.WEALTHY was for solution on how i can get my husband back because in recent times i have read some testimonies on the internet which some people has written about DR.WEALTHY and i was so pleased and i decided to seek for assistance from him on his email (wealthylovespell@gmail.com) which he did a perfect job by casting a spell on my husband which made him to come back to me and beg for forgiveness.I will not stop publishing his name on the net because of the good work he is doing. I will drop his contact for the usefulness of those that needs his help.His Email DR.WEALTHY"CONTACT via EMAIL: wealthylovespell@gmail.com or whatsapp him +2348105150446 read blog http://wealthyspellhome.over-blog.com

    VastaaPoista