13. lokakuuta 2018

Birding and twitching with Vilma. 10.10.2018

On 10th I took Vilma and together we drove to Pikku-Huopalahti, which is area where me and Sanni lived before Vilma was born. Anyway we had long staying Turtle Dove in our minds and that was the reason why we went there.
Bird was seen in a park almost daily before we get there. I walked around and we met some other twitchers, but in two hours we spend there, nothing... Vilma threw some rocks into a small waterhole and I tried to watch the area where the Dove was normally seen.
Lots of Waxwings, and Domestic Sparrows around with some passerine migration. One Goshawk too, but that was it. We left to my fathers office where my brother and uncle works too. They were happy to see Vilma and Vilma was happy to see all them. On our way to the car we also got a nice memory from a Mounted Police patrol. One Police man gave a picture of his horse to Vilma and you can really see when a little girl is so thrilled! She loves horses and that was basically the thing she was talking rest of the day.

Waxwings through my telescope.

Proud Vilma with her new Palaad card. 


Later afternoon, after we got some food ans stuff at home Vilma wanted to go out again and this time we went to Viikki, to check if there is some nice birds around. We were walking on wooden path towards Lammassaari when I heard and little later saw a flock of Bearded Tits! Always a pleasure to see those tiny birds with their tiny wings. Soon we walked back because Vilma wanted to see the tallest tower in the area and it was close to us. We raised up to the tower and from there I was able to see Little Grebe, some Smews, Gadwalls, Lapwings etc. Also quite many Willow tits flying around.

Road to Lammassaari.

Vanhankaupunginlahti in autumn colors. 

Vilma. 

Vilma again. 
Male Gadwall. 
Smews.


We were already at the car when an alarm of Cinereous Vulture came. I was thinking about it for a minute and came to conclusion that we have to go to the Vuosaari Hill to see it. I texted Tyron that now or never kind of vulture mania message and we arrived 20 minutes later to the hill. Vilma was tired, so I had to carry her and my telescope to the top of the hill, but I made it. Many people already there and in hour we didn´t see anything near the Vulture. Flock of Bean Geese with two Greater White-fronted Geese were best I think. Shame but obviously the Vulture went further north from that point and landed somewhere near Porvoo. More of that in my next post.

-Tom

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti