20. huhtikuuta 2020

Evening watch. 19.4.2020

Yesterday I had nice two hours in Vanhankaupunginlahti. I arrived to Hakala bird tower little after 5:pm and luckily there was only two people, so enough room. Loads Teals around and it was clearly the most common duck around. I also found few pairs of Showeler and Wigeon from the flock.
Teals.


White-tailed Eagle was sitting in their nest and I heard that there is already one chick hatched! Other birds worth to mention were three Common Terns, lone Caspian tern flying far away, flock of 21 Eurasian Curlews and quick views of possible Jack Snipe.
I scanned the sky and water area many times, but after few rounds there was not too many new birds.
I knew about Slavonian Grebe record from the place, so I tried to find it.
At some point I had nice chat with some other birders when one of the White-tailed Eagles decided to give us a little show. Bird came relatively close and I got some images of this majestic creature.

White-tailed Eagle.

Nice Evening light. 

What a bird. 

Before I left I finally found the Slavonian Grebe resting with Crested Grebes and boy it was far.. I measured the distance from internet map later and distance between me and the Grebe was about 850-900 meters. Also migrating Merlin and Marsh Harriers were nice to see and only raptors with the Eagles during my watch.

Part of the flock of 21 Eurasian Curlews continued their migration. 

White-tailed Eagle pair in their nest. 

Bird in the middle is Slavonian Grebe, like I mentioned, the distance was about 900m.

Small flock of Barnacle Geese were flying around and they landed somewhere close behind the woods. 


It was so nice to be in the tower and thanks to the other birders for company. I got two new species to my year list.
This week is normally working on weekdays and then maybe some free time next weekend. I will try to find some time for the birds this week too. April is soon over and the real rarity month, May is just around the corner.

-Tom 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti