4. huhtikuuta 2020

Firecrest with Vilma and walk with the kids. 2.4.2020

Finally time to write about our nice twitch on 2nd of April.

I have had many night shifts lately and that has effected my birding of course cause you have to sleep after your shift.
On second I woke up quite early and when Julius went to have his daily nap I took Vilma with me cause the alarm of Firecrest came about half an hour before. Drive to Espoo took us about 25 minutes and we arrived to the full parking lot. First Firecrest for the year in Finland attracted quite many twitchers and we had to take care of the distances because of the Covid-19 virus.

After walking about 200m we were at the place where the bird was seen last time but it was lost. About 10 people were looking at it and I said to Vilma that let´s walk a bit around the small area. Took me like two minutes to find the bird! I noticed a small bird moving in a bush and it was easy to identify it. I told others to come closer and the bird moved a bit higher so all saw it quite well. Photographing it was real pain in the ass and my Sony RX10 had troubles to focus behind the branches. I managed to get few pictures and soon we left to check the Spools near by. More and more people gathered so it was good time to move on.
Moment when I found the bird. Can you spot it? 

There is not too many flying photos of Firecrest. 

Cute bird. 

Vilma had raisins and her own camera with her. 


Quite much wildfowl at the pools. Pochards, Tufted Ducks, Gadwalls, Mallards, Coots and Goldeneyes. Later spring this place is full of birds and one of the places where Slavonian Grebe nests in capital area.
We walked around the pools, and at some point Vilma started to vine about going to the car and home, so we left. It was good hour we spend there and nice birds to my year list.

Mixed flock of ducks. Female Pochard, Tufted Ducks, Coots and Gadwalls.

Gadwall pair. 

Female Goldeneye



After we came back home we had some food and then I took both kids with me to have a walk where we spot teddy bears from the windows. This has been an international Facebook challenge or something.
We walked around the neighborhood and we had quite many bears. At some point we decided to have a small adventure at the woods and we ended up walking around the whole Hallainvuori area! It took us about an hour to do all that. I had my camera with me but not too many birds around. Great-spotted Woodpecker, Siskins, Parrot- and Common Crossbills and other common stuff.
Here is a picture of Common Crossbills.

Male Common Crossbill. 


What a day. Good rarity, some other common, but always good species. Now my year list is 99 species, so soon I hit the one hundred mark.
More birding later.
Stay healthy!

-Tom

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti