11. elokuuta 2020

Recent birding and summer house visit. 10.8.2020

First day of August I had time to twitch Hoopoe from Oulunkylä, Helsinki. Bird was found day before and many birders saw it. Place was little bit challenging and bird was feeding between houses. I had to wait about half an hour before I found the bird from the tree and soon it took off, almost landed near me, but continued quite far away and I did not saw it again. We also visited the place with my kids later that day, but that time we did not even see the bird there..

The spot where the Hoopoe was relocated.

Same day I also visited Vanhankaupunginlahti where I twitched Little Stint to my year list. Bird so small in distance is not really a pleasure, but good bird here anyway. No bird photos that day... I was really hoping to get some of the Hoopoe, but no luck.

On 3rd I had small flock of Common Starlings behind our house and I took few pictures of those.
Part of the flock.

Juvenile bird.


On 7th we started our weekend trip to Loviisa where we have the summer house. Real surprise was three juvenile Hazel Grouse very near the road about 1km before our place. I was able to get one poor photo of the bird which jumped into a tree. Great start!

Hazel Grouse.


During the weekend I had nice mix of birds around the area close by. Once I had big flock of passerines and in the flock I had Willow Tits, Great Tits, Wood Warbler, Red-breasted Flycatcher, lots of Willow Warblers, Goldcrests, Pied Flycatchers and one calling Crested Tit. Also two Great-spotted Woodpeckers in same place.
Juvenile Pied Flycather.

Male Great-spotted Woodpecker.

Willow Warbler.

And another. 

Common Sandpiper and White Wagtail.

We were able to made a quick boat ride and I took photos of this cool island full of Cormorant nests and when we came back an adult Goshawk was soaring over our beach.

Great Cormorant island. 

Julius was in charge and others just enjoyed the ride. 


Also loads of Dragonflies and butterflies flying around during the weekend. Brown Hawkers, Common Hawkers, Vagrant Darters, Downy Emeralds and the best species of the trip, Baltic Hawker.

Vagrant Darter.

Vagrant Darter.

Silver-washed Fritillary, Camberwell Beauty, Peacock Butterfly, Large White and some others are butterflies worth mentioning.

Silver-washed Fritillary.

Camberwell Beauty.

Two of these huge Common Toads were in our yard and I got this awesome picture of some kind of Grasshopper.

Some kind of Grasshopper. 

Common Toad. 


This week back at work and next weekend we are having nice party for Sanni´s sister, so good times. Also my favorite time of the year for bird watchin is coming, so more birding coming hopefully soon.

-Tom 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti