6. toukokuuta 2017

Great day in Maari tower. 5.5.2017

After I dropped Vilma to her daycare I decided to visit Maari tower in Espoo. I knew that there was some waders around earlier days, but you never know what happens when you go there late.
I arrived at 8.45am and quite a lot of people in the tower. I noticed Jani Ceder and few other common faces.
The meadow was huge because water level was quite low. Ruffs, Wood Sandpipers, Temmink´s Stints, Bar-tailed Godwit, Spotted Redshanks, Redshanks, Greenshanks, both ringed Plovers, Common Sandpiper etc. Great start! This was also one of those rare days when I really had time to watch birds.
Morning was cold, but when the sun raised the temperature started to rise. Some flocks of Golden Plovers, migrated and during the day we had about 130 birds going. Also raptors gave us a good show today. Hen Harrier, Merlin, Hobbys, Kestrels, Goshawk, Sparrowhawks, Osprey, two Rough-legged Buzzards, three Common Buzzards and the bird of the day, Greater Spotted Eagle!
Eagle was originally spotted from Vuosaari and it was seen from Viikki, Kumpu and Malminkartano before it passed us in Espoo. I had real luck there, because Vilmas daycare time was going to end very soon and I had to leave. I was able to watch this majestic birds for five minutes before I had to run.
Later the guys saw also two White-storks which came from the same route from East to West.
Other great bird worth to mention was long staying Cinnamon Teal. Interesting species which is normally sent to category E, so likely escape. Anyway very rare bird in wild and only few records in Finland. I have sen one in Estonia back in 2003!

13 new year ticks and lots of nice moments.
All the photos taken through my scope with my phone.

Bar-tailed Godwit.

Temmink´s Stints.

Cinnamon Teal from 1km distance.

Common Sandpiper.


Thanks for the company Jani, Petteri, Tuula, Antti, Leo and others. Great day.

-Tom

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti