31. toukokuuta 2020

Quality time with my family. 31.5.2020

Sanni was working again today, so I took kids and we met my mother in Etelä-Haaga where she lives. We were in one playground and kids were running around. While they played I had time to check the local birds. Pied Flycatchers, Spotted Flycatcher, Goldfinches, Great-spotted Woodpecker calls etc. and this smart looking male Common Chaffinch.

Singing male Chaffinch. 

Same bird on the ground. 

Time was running and soon we had to go back home for lunch. Julius still needs a nap and during his sleep my sister and her boyfriend Eino came to visit us. We stayed in our backyard and had nice coffee. At some point I noticed an River Warbler in Vartioharju, not too far from our house. It was one of those "easy" ones missing from my stroller list so together with Sanni and kids we went to twitch later afternoon.

We arrived the place around 4.45 pm and instantly I heard the bird singing somewhere near by. One other guy stopped and asked if I hear the bird and I told him that it was singing like minute before they came. Pair of Eurasian Teals in the stream and at least three Wood Warblers and one Chiffchaff were singing.

Eurasian Teal couple. 


Because we did not hear anything else I moved a bit with Julius and we went to look where the girls went. They were picking some flowers near by and that same moment a totally different guy came and told that he played tape at the River Warbler place, so it was possibly him I heard moments earlier... Great! We were talking about the bird when I suddenly heard the real bird singing somewhere near, but from different direction. Damn, it was one of those moments...

We all heard the bird well and I got a poor record of the song in this video. I recommend to use headphones, so you can hear it.


In the video that other guy says "se kuuluu tänne hyvin" which means that they can hear it very well. Shame that bird like this is impossible to photo.
While we walked back to our car I first head Marsh Warbler singing and soon I saw the bird quickly, before Julius was running towards it and it took off... From our car I also heard Blyth´s Reed Warbler, so our trip there was really a success! River Warbler was my stroller tick number #249!

Next week I must spend my days at work and possibly not much birding coming. But who knows if something rare appear.

Today Sweden got new species on their list when Oriental Plover was found from near Gothenburg! Only two records from Europe before this bird and those are from Finland (2003) and Norway (2017). Congrats to the finder Mikael Nilson and I hope my friend David Anderson who is in Oland at the moment will see this bird later.

-Tom



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti