18. toukokuuta 2020

Trip to summerhouse with kids and twitching. 17.5-18.5.2020

So yesterday (17th) I took my kids and we visited our Loviisa summerhouse. We met my father and stepmom there and the idea was just prepare the cabin for next weekend when we are going there again for few nights. Because I had two kid and only two hands with me, I did not have quite many changes to see birds. When we arrived I heard Red-breasted Flycatcher at the parking lot and also one big Barnacle Goose flock had three Brent Goose with them. Great Bittern was singing constantly and while we drove the road to our house I had two Wrynecks and Woodcock, which took of from the road!

One of many Barnacle flocks. I counted about 2000 migrating Goose. 

This funny thing is Eurasian Treecreepers nest.

Lots of great memories from this place. 


Later afternoon the weather stated to look quite bad, so we left. At same time I got info about singing European Serin only 30km from our current location. I said to Vilma that if everything goes well and I get the stroller tick, they will get a reward. It was ok to kids and soon we arrived to Pernaja church. I took Julius to stroller and with Vilma we walked around the area. It took us about ten minutes to find the bird.
We followed the bird for some time and at some point Julius started to scream about going home and stuff, so we left. I got very good stroller tick and year tick and I bought raisins to my kids!

Pernaja church.

European Serin.

Shame that light conditions were a bit poor, so not any good images of the bird. 


From Pernaja we rove to home to have some pizza and kids were super tired after this long day.

Today (18th) I took kids to daycare and I knew that Matti Soini had found Pink-footed Goose at Viikki field, so I make a detour before going to work and quickly twitched the bird. I arrived with my bike and Jorma Wikholm was there with Matti and they showed me where to look. Even with binoculars it was quite easy to see the right bird and see some features. Great start for the day.
I continued and at the old refinery in Viikki I first heard Reed Warbler singing and after that a Spotted Crake called few times! What a morning!


The flock where Pink-footed Goose was found. Bird was in right end of the flock from this direction.

I had very sow day at work and rest of the day was just normal with my family, until I was putting the kids to bed when Peter Buchert found singing Little Crake from Vanhankaupunginlahti.
I promised to Sanni that I will handle the kids and check that they will sleep and go after that.
Took me about 40 minutes and both were sleeping and I rushed out.

About ten twitchers around when I arrived and more came. Finally after ten minutes wait the bird gave us short set and later I heard it couple of times. Not really a full song, jut parts of it. Somebody got even a photo of the bird.
Great ending for good day and most important thing, a lifer for me in Finland! Little Crake was my bird species number 340 in Finland. I have seen these in Israel, but really nowhere else.

The place where we heard the Crake. 

At this point I had singing Common Grasshopper Warbler. 


Before I left I went to listen if the Common Grasshopper Warbler was still present and it gave me a short song, maybe ten seconds and then nothing after that. I got little video of the song, but it lasted only few seconds cause I was slow. Anyway a good year tick too.

Great day and more later.

-Tom

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti