25. heinäkuuta 2018

Saarenmaa, Estonia 16.7-19.7.2018

My vacation ended when July started, but because I have long periods of work I can have few days off once in a while. This time we had plans to go to Estonia with my friend Antti and hes girlfriend Johanna, with her daughter Enisa.
We started from Katajanokka harbor and arrived to Tallin after midday. From Tallin to Virtsu, where the ferry goes is around to hour drive. Because roads are in good condition it is easy drive and from the car I had few birds too. Some White Storks of course, but also some Common Buzzards, distant Eagle which I think was Lesser-spotted.
From Virtsu it takes only 25 minutes with ferry and you are in Saarenmaa. Our house was only 10 minute drive from harbor.
We spend amazing three days there and we drove around the island visiting places like Kuressaare, Orissaare, Mandjala beach and some others. Two full days lying on the beach was fun for the kids and why not for the adults too.
Saarenmaa was full of butterflies and dragonflies. From the car I had great variety of species like Swallowtail, Purple Emperor, Moorland clouded yeallow, Lesser purple Emperor, New forest Burnet and one real diamond for a Finn. Zygaena minos burnet is real rarity in Finland with two records from 1980s. In saarenmaa it is local but not really rare. For me it was new species of course.
From Dragonfly family I had at least Moorland Hawker, Blue Hawker, Baltic Hawker and Brown Hawker. Also some smaller species, but all were flying high and impossible to identify.

Here is some photos from the trip.

Large White.

Lesser Purple Emperor.

Small chocolate-tip.

Zygaena Minos.

Zygaena Minos.

Large Wall Brown.

New forest Burnet.

New forest Burnet.

Common Brimstone.

What can you say? Kuressaare.

Our Grill and view.

Kuressaare castle. 


Lots of great memories and good company. During the drive back to Tallin we stopped in Haapsalu and I had one Great white Egret and some buzzards flying around. We were back home on 19th evening.
Thanks for the company Antti, Johanna Enisa and of course my own family. Great times.

-Tom

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti