17. tammikuuta 2021

Too much snow and freezing temperatures. 17.1.2021

 This week we had two days of blizzard and around half a meter of snow during that time. At the same time temperatures dropped to -18 degrees, so we are having real winter there in Helsinki. Most of the lingering birds took off, but some stayed and today I had time to try to see some of those. 

Again I went to Vuosaari and I started from Uutela where Redwing was spending winter on one feeder with some Blackbirds and other common birds. First 30 minutes didn´t gave me anything, so I went to check another feeder near by. This second one was little more in the forest so I was not surprised to hear Willow Tit near by, didn´t see the bird but hearing is almost a good as seeing it. Coal Tits, Great Tits and Blue Tits there too with lone Great-spotted Woodpecker. Soon Jouni Rytkönen walked to the feeder and together we went back to the first place. This time I had successful twitch and Redwing showed up in ten minutes. No change to get any good photos of the bird sitting on a branch up high, but record shot, like always. 

Redwing..

Bird did not move from that spot during the time I was there..

Blue Tit snack.

This Great Tit had ring.

Goldfinch feeder.


After the thrush I went to Porslahti where Pygmy Owl was seen just few moments earlier. First I drove to the wrong place so took me little bit more time to see the owl, but there it was and here is my poor picture of it. Maybe same bird which was seen in the area last autumn. 

Pygmy Owl.

Those eyes. What a awesome bird.

I was tying to capture Yellowhammer and view, but this was best I got. 


After the Owl I drove to other side of the gold course to another feeder. This time I had to wait almost 20 minutes before the star bird showed up. Song Thrush is wintering at this feeder and finally it came to have some snack. Not too often you got Redwing and Song Thrush at the same day in January! 

Song Thrush.


During the wait there was at least two Great-spotted Woodpeckers and distant calling Northern Raven. 

Along the day I had also two Northern Goshawks, many Greenfinches, Yellowhammers and lots of Goldfinches. 

34 species so far this year and there is easily about 20 more only if I have some time during next weeks. Let´s see what happens. 

-Tom 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti