30. huhtikuuta 2020

Local birding and some twitching 30.4.2020

Hello, Today I had rare chance to watch birds a bit longer than usual. Kids were in daycare and Sanni was working, so time to go out and watch some birds.
I spend three hours in Hakala tower in Vanhankaupunginlahti. During that time I was hoping to see some migration and maybe something rare. My wishes did not come true this time, but I had realy good time and nice species. For example 34 Ruffs were nice, two Little Gulls, Spotted Redshank, Arctic Tern, two Garganeys, Yellow Wagtail and so on, all super nice. I also saw the chick in the White-tailed Eagles nest for the first time. Female eagle gave some fish for it.

Male Northern Showeler. 


Two Little Gulls.

Redshank.

Some flocks of Barnacle Geese migrated today, but the real show is coming soon. Thousands of geese are migrating through the Finland in some weeks. 

So, after I left the tower I went home to have quick snack and then I drove to Vantaa where I twitched Mandarin Duck to my year list. This species is always nice to see and normally it gives you an opportunity to take some nice images of it. Today was no exeption.

Small lake in Simonkylä where the bird was haning with few Mallards and some Gulls. 

"how you doing" 

Males are good looking birds. 

Mandarin Duck. 

It was quite quick visit and soon I was driving towards Tuusula and I was hoping that Lesser White-fronted Goose would show up again. It was seen this morning, but no updates during the day.
I arrived to the place and there was no Geese or any other birds around. I drove a bit further and I met another twitcher who said that no sighn of the flock.. That was bad news. Anyway I drove around the area about 20 kilometers and all I saw was huge young White-tailed Eagle and female Hen Harrier. Harrier was year tick, but not the one I wanted to see this time.
I decided to go back to Helsinki cause I promised Sanni that I will pich her up from work. I took this photo of smart looking Fieldfare while I waited her to come.

Fieldfare.

Afterall I had nice day with many new birds for the year. Days like this are real disappearing joy and I have to make the most of these everytime it is possible.
Tomorrow or Sunday I will try to twitch Little Crake from Lohja if it stays, so more birds in few days I hope.

-Tom

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti