27. joulukuuta 2020

December birding. 27.12.2020

 I´m late, but anyway Merry Christmas and happy holidays! 

Lately my birding has been close to zero. Weather during the December has been totally awful and not many days with out rain or fog or something which makes you stay at home rather than walk around empty fields. Also working all the hours of daylight does not help you at all! 

On 19th I made two hour visit to Kivinokka, which is a small cape other side of the vanhankaupunginlahti. Takes about 10 minutes to drive there from my home. When I arrived I noticed that it is raining a little and fog everywhere. Still I walked around the area for some time and checked the open water areas. Even some ice left after maybe three days of temperatures below zero earlier. Large flock, maybe 70 Mergansers around and later I found two Smews, lone White-tailed Eagle, four Great-spotted Woodpeckers, flock of Bullfinches and other common birds. I was hoping something like Glaugous Gull or even rarer, but no luck again this time. 

Here couple of poor images from that day.


Flock of Canada Geese in the fog.

Kivinokka

Kivinokka

Gulls on the ice.

Distant White-tailed Eagle.


On 25th I woke up with my kids pretty early. Both wanted to play with all new toys Santa brought them. It was still a bit dark when I noticed juvenile Sparrow Hawk sitting on our backyard. It tried to catch Domestic Sparrows from the bush and jumped, dived and tried everything there. I took my camera, but I had to put super high ISO to get anything. Here is some action and less action photos of the bird. It was great to see how it tried basically everything before Crows started to attack it and it took off. 


Sparrow Hawk on the ground.

Sparrow hawk on the truck.

Sparrow Hawk in the bush.

Sparrow Hawk on the bush.


Maybe some kind of review of the year later, but it seems that I don´t have time for any proper birding this year anymore. 

I wish all the people happy new year and stay safe. 


Tom 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti