14. kesäkuuta 2022

Buff-breasted Sandpiper and other waders 28.5.2022

 On 27th a Buff-breasted Sandpiper was found from Elimäki, Kouvola. I had seen the species earlier in Finland, but for some reason I was interested to go and see that one too. Also nothing really interesting around Helsinki what could keep me here. I loaned my mothers car, cause gasoline prizes and her company pays all her driving. 

I arrived to Elimäki and there was few other cars parked along the small road. I took my stuff and started to walk towards the small flood where it was seen. I saw all the people were looking at same direction so I asked where to look and soon I was looking this little bird from arctic tundra of north-america. Crazy how birds from that far a way turned up here in Finland. 

At the same time I noticed that there was huge variation of waders in same area. Some Grey Plovers, lone Red Knot, four Red-necked Phalaropes, Temminck´s Stints, Broad-billed Sandpipers, Dunlins, Oystercathers etc. What a place! 

Here is a VIDEO and photos of the main target bird, and some other stuff too.

Poor picture, but in same photo BB-sandpiper, Red-necked Phalarope and Ringed Plover.

Buff-breasted Sand. 

Here you can see typical differences compared to the female Ruff

Mirror mirror on the water... And so on. 



On my way back to the car two Grey-headed Woodpeckers were calling and I got this distant record shot of one of those. Not rarity, but always a pleasure to see this species too! 

Female Grey-headed Woodpecker from the distance.. 


-Tom 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti