15. toukokuuta 2020

Lammassaari with kids again. 14.5.2020

Yesterday I picked up my kids from daycare and together we went to Lammassaari to have some picnic. I always pack some juice, crackers etc for them and I might have a chance to look some birds.
Sun was shining, though there was huge clouds moving around the area and it looked that the rain might come any minute.
First new bird for the year came from the beginning of the log path. Corn Crake was "singing" near the path and Vilma was asking about this horrible sounds. I told her that it is just a beautiful song of the Crake. Soon I found a small flock of Common Swifts and that was my second new year tick.

Horrible picture, but my first Common Swift for this year. Later I had flock of ten birds. 

One Lapwing walked near the path, so I took photo of it.

We stopped in few places before the island and kids ate almost all the stuff we had. Second Corn Crake and at least three Thrush Nightingales were singing at little woods in the middle of the path.


From the island we watched the bay from smaller tower where you can go with stroller, but the water level was so high, that nearly all waders were gone. Only some Wood Sandpipers and lone Green Sandpiper. Also Terns, Gulls, big flock of Barnacle Geese, Cormorants, White-tailed Eagles sitting on their nest, Grey Herons and other common stuff.

Epic clouds passing the area. 

White-tailed Eagle nest.

Barnacle Geese..

Vilma walking in Lammassaari.

After the island we started to get back to our car. Kids were tired and it was real torture with them.. Anyway we made our way back, and we even met my old friend Jari Linjala and I was able to chat a moment with him. It was nice to see you!
At one point I had flock of Swallows and Martins and I found lone Sand Martin from the flock. Always nice species to see. Corn Crake was still singing and I think I head Common Rosefinch, but it was only one call and can´t be sure. Sedge Warblers were in full singing mode and we listened a moment of those too.

Reed Bunting is very common breeder in Vanhankaupunginlahti.

Good evening walk and two new species to my year list. Thanks for the company Vilma and Julius.
More birding maybe this weekend, if I can make a little evening watch somewhere near.

-Tom

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti