29. marraskuuta 2020

Owls again 28.11.2020

 Yesterday I had little time to go to Vuosaari and twitch Northern Hawk Owl from there. Las two visits were unsuccessful, so I had to see the bird this time. Tyron informed me that the bird is still there and I was only seven minutes away. Lots of photographers around when I arrived and bird was easy to see. It was nice to see Tyron and Ella at the site too. I spend half an hour there and got some decent record shots of the bird. 


First it was behind the branches, but soon it moved to a better place.

Northern Hawk Owl.

That mean stare! 

Easy place near the road and photographers can watch it from the path. 


Great bird and shame that I did not see any hunting this time. Some people have seen that the bird is very effective hunter. 

When I drove back home I stopped at Kivikko ruderate and I checked the small area. Zero birds and I left in 15 minutes...

Kivikko hotspot.


Later I was at home when our local Whastapp-group told that there is Eagle Owl and Tengmalm´s Owl in Viikki! Sanni was leaving to work so it was with the kids kind of twitching again! 

We packed our stuff and soon we were walking to the place where the bird was seen. Quite many searchers and I heard that nobody from that group had seen the Tengmalm´s Owl. We walked around small area when I heard somebody saying "there". I went closer with kids and there it really was, a Eurasian Eagle Owl. It was hiding and all we saw was its belly! I think it was a miracle that someone even found it from that small spot it was showing... Here is my nature photograph of the year of it.

Mighty Eagle Owl! 

It was inside of that tallest tree in the middle. About 8 meters above the ground.

Kids were having good time and they played with sticks, especially Julius. Later we had nice time in one playground nearby. Good day and good birds. 

I was hoping that I could do some birding also today, but it has been raining most of the day either sleet or water, so not much motivation to go out. Vilma went out with her friend. Maybe more birding next week. 


-Tom 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti