20. toukokuuta 2022

Steppe Eagle in Helsinki 17.5.2022

 I was working and trying to do something important like adding new workers into our system when I noticed a message of "rare eagle" from Talosaari, which is in eastern part of Helsinki. In an hour the identification of the bird was secured as a Steppe Eagle! Found originally by my friend Risto Lammin-Soila! 

I was nervous and I had to make an excuse to leave.  I drove straight to the place and the Eagle was standing there at the meadow and eating dead Swan. I took my telescope and took some pictures and videos of it. The bird moved only twice during the time I stood there, so pretty son I packed my stuff and drove to daycare to pick up my kids. 

Sanni was still working, so we made another visit with the juveniles and I even got the Eagle to my stroller list! Number 264 was very welcome. Both of the kids saw the bird too, so if they start counting species some day I can tel them that they have very rare beast on their list. 

Here is few pictures of the bird and from the site. Also couple of videos Here and Here

Other birds worth to mention from the place were Temminck´s Stints, singing Mistle Thrush and Wood Warbler etc. 

First picture of the bird. Dead Swan next to eagle.

Bird moved only a bit during my stay. Here is walked around the meadow and searched somethin.

Steppe Eagle.

When I was back with kids, the bird stood at the tree the whole time. 

Loads of birders visited the site during the birds one and a half day visit. 

Great bird and only seventh record for Helsinki in last 70 years and 72nd in Finland. This was only my second Steppe Eagle in Finland after the first in Turku back in 2017.

Thanks to my kids for company!


-Tom

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti