1. toukokuuta 2022

Suomenoja with Julius 30.4.2022

 Yesterday I took Julius with me and we visited a Suomenoja pools, where is one of the largest Black-headed Gull colony in whole Uusimaa county. Also very important breeding site for Common Pochard, Tufted Duck, Showeler, Gadwall and Common Gallinule. 

Area is pretty small and took us about 45 minutes to walk around the pools. Julius wanted to visit all the birding towers and I concentrated to get few images for the blog. We did not see anything special, but Horned Grebe was new species to my year list. I noticed that there was only few small passerine, and normally at this time there should be loads of songbirds around... Long and cold flow from North has been really bad for migrants. 

Anyway, here is few pictures of our visit. 

Common Coot.

Horned Grebe.

Horned Grebe couple.

Gadwall.

Julius watching Goldeneyes.

Julius and bird watching tower.

Northern Showeler male. What a bill it has! 

Black-headed Gull carried nesting materials.

Common Pochard female. 

Male Tufted Duck.

Small Tortoiseshell, Aglais Urticae.


Later we ate at MC Donalds and Julius fell asleep in the car, so I took my time at Haltiala and watched about an hour the fields. Migrating Whimbler, small flock of Golden Plovers, 15 Common Cranes and some kind of small raptor, but nothing else. Local Skylarks and Meadow Pipits were singing constantly and couple of Northern Wheatears around. 

Haltiala fields. Julius was sleeping in the car.

Great trip, with my little boy. 


-Tom


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti