28. huhtikuuta 2022

A day with my daughter 21.4.2022

 I had amazing day with my little girl Vilma at 21st of April. We had to drive to Porvoo for Vilma´s passport, so we dropped Julius to daycare and we started our drive. Official business was handled in 25 minute and I told Vilma that i´d like to visit a bird watching tower near by at "Ruskis". IT was ok for her if she could watch some cartoons from my phone.. 

There was already some people at the tower when we arrived and I knew Markku and Biti Ojala, but others were not familiar for me. 

It was still very cold and lots of ice around the bay, but I was able to finds some ducks like Tufted Ducks, Wigeons and lots of Teals. Also few Smew around. Distant White-tailed Eagle, few calls of Great Bitterns were nice. At some point I noticed a small snipe feeding pretty openly and when I watched it with telescope I was watching a Jack´s Snipe! Normally these little waders are hiding very effectively, so this was a bit surprise. Maybe it had just arrived and needed some food quickly. I got some video of the bird. 

White Wagtail in Porvoo.



After Ruskis we stopped at MC Donald´s and then we drove to Kulosaari, and more specifically to Furuvik to twitch long staying male King Eider! 

When we arrived there was handful of birders looking the bird, but it was gone. I let Vilma play at the sandy beach and I watched the sea. Finally after half an hour watching I found the bird from very far away behind of the doc. not really the way I wanted to see the bird, but at least something.

Vilma at the beach. King Eider about behind her, about 300m from the shore.


We had ice cream break at Jollas and during the eating I heard my first Common Chiffchaff from other side of the road we were standing. 

Next stop was Vanhankaupunginlahti where we visited Lammassaari log path. We stopped in every watching site and Vilma was very hapy to see lots of Frogs singing around the path. I was very happy when a guy next to me told that there was a Black-tailed Godwit at the meadow. It had to arrive at that moment, cause we scanned the area many times and suddenly the bird was there. Anyway, great bird and pretty scarce here in Helsinki area. Vilma got lifer from that bird too.

Singing Frog.

Always nice to see these dudes. Sign of spring. 

Black-tailed Gotwit.


After this we had to drive back home and pick up Julius from daycare. Awesome time with Vilma and she is already so big! School starts this year, so lots of new things fro both of us! 


-Tom 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti