14. huhtikuuta 2022

Rainy day at the Viikki area. 14.4.2022

 Rare treat to have day off during the weekdays. I rove my kids to daycare and my self to Viikki. Starting point was old sewage water treatment plant, which gave me Common Gallinule to my year list. Weather was grey and I knew that rain will hit any moment, but I did not care. 

Next stop was Gardenia fields where I saw big flock of White Wagtails, Common Snipes and Black-headed Gulls. Also few Mallards in that area. My longer stops started from Hakala tower where I spend about an hour. I collected almost all the basic ducks, including Pintail, Common Teal, Garganey, Common Pochard, Tufted Duck, Wigeon and nice flock of eight Smews. Calling Greater Curlew was also a new bird for the year, but never saw that one, only heard this time. Hundreds of small thrushes around and along Redwings and Song Thrushes I had four Mistle Thrushes too. Fieldfares and Blackbirds all over the place. I was actually hoping for a early Ring Ouzel, but not today. 

One of my favorite birds, White Wagtail.

From Hakala I moved to Purolahti and more birds were added to my list. Common Redshanks called constantly and I counted six birds from the small lake. Osprey picked up some food from small open water area and best bird for the day was long staying Rock Pipit near the tower with couple of Meadow Pipits. 

I had nice hour and a half and then I wanted to continue. Not much migration or any movement, just same birds. Ilpo Mutikainen visited the tower and it was nice to have some company, thanks for that.

Rock Pipit with the snack.



Rock Pipit is scarce visitor to Viikki area. 

Roe Deer from Purolahti tower.

Osprey.

Common Redshank.

I walked to Viikki fields, but nothing really exiting there. About hundred Common Snipes, six Greater White-fronted Goose, flock of 13 Snow Buntings, weird Common Teal with white back and head. Bird was very hard to photograph, but here is distant shot. 

Meadow Pipit.

Greater White-fronted Goose.

White-backed Common Teal.

Just before I was leaving I found this very tame Snow Bunting which gave me nice show. What a bird!

Snow Bunting.

A bit closer. 

And again.

Such a great looking bird. 

It was feeding the whole time I stood there. Did not care about me at all.

 Because everything was so nice, I also accidentally dipped my foot into the water... Snow and ice were too soft and my foot was there half way to my knee. It was time to go back home. 

Happy Easter folks, I will work the holidays, but after that more birding. 


-Tom 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti